Thursday, February 11, 2010

I am not a hood ornament

Yesterday I had a near death experience. I almost became a hood ornament on a black SUV.

It started out as a normal day, I was moseying my way to the subway to catch the train to work. The sun was shining, the snowflakes were sparkling and I was smiling cause I had a good tousle in bed with my boyfriend before heading out the door. I was in the process of crossing the street, at a stop sign I might add, when a big black SUV comes rolling through the stop sign and hits me. It didn’t hit me hard, but never the less; I am not a hood ornament therefore the front of a moving car should not be touching my body! I looked up in surprise thinking “how can the driver not see me?” I was crossing the street with at least four other people… how could this guy hit one of us? Then the really shocking thing happened.

He kept driving!

He slowly kept driving into me so I was being nudged along by the hood of this guy’s car like a toy ball gets nudged along by the nose of a Newfoundlander dog. I didn’t know what to do! Jump out of the way? Scream for help? Take out my phone and call 911: “help! I’m being run over by a car! Yes, right now… no, I’m not kidding.” None of these things seemed effective enough so I took the problem into my own hands… literally! I raised my fist in the air and smashed it down into his hood. That caught his attention long enough to take his foot off the gas. I then stood there and started screaming at the top of my lungs “WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?! NO! SERIOUSLY! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!” His response was to raise his arms in the air in a sort of “I dunno what you want me to do about it?” response. I kept screaming, mostly out of shock and disbelief, as I got onto the sidewalk and he drove away.

I was unharmed, but shaken. For the rest of the day “what ifs” kept running through my head. What if he had been rear ended? I would have been squashed! What if he had stepped on the gas? I would have been pushed or dragged into oncoming traffic on Younge Street. That pretty much equals a ticket to the River Sticks. The thought of my own mortality and my close call made me want to sit down and cry.

There have been almost 20 pedestrians killed in Toronto since the beginning of the year. That is a lot of people to die, by a completely preventable cause, in such a short period of time. If you drive in the city please be aware of pedestrians. No matter if they are in the wrong and jaywalking, a human being is no match for your large steel vehicle. Even if you don’t kill a person on impact there are chances they could die of injury complications later on. So please, from one pedestrian who was almost made into a hood ornament, keep your eyes on the streets and drive with caution!

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are not dead. However, you must admit that you would make one damn sexy hood ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made my blood boil! I've had similar experiences walking down Dufferin with cars trying to get out of side streets. I just want to dent the car with the fury of my kung foo fists!

    Glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete