Friday, June 18, 2010

Next Stop: Slackerville

I thought I was on the train to success with a transfer at the corner of multi-tasking and goal-setting, but I accidentally hopped the train to Slackerville instead.
It all started two months ago when things were on a roll in my personal and professional lives. I was doing great at work and things were nothing but sunshine and lollipops between my boyfriend and I. Everything was going well, and I was enjoying the ride… but then it slowly began to change. First, I started to take on more responsibility at work (which I found thrilling, but at the same time scary) and then my boyfriend’s work and school schedule changed and I wasn’t seeing him as much as I was used to. Suddenly my success train had arrived at Slackerville central, and I hadn't even realized it until now.
This epiphany came to me a week ago, when I caught myself sitting on the couch watching reruns of The Hills… That’s when you know you’ve hit rock bottom. I thought to myself: “what am I doing? I hate The Hills!” Then I started thinking about all the things I could be doing instead of watching that redundant show, like writing in this blog for instance. When the thought of writing outside of work came to me I had some mixed feelings. When I think about writing now, it brings a combination of sadness and hope, because I know that my professional writing goals have changed. Even though I still harbour a pipe dream for working at The Globe and Mail while wearing a trilby with a card stuck in the side that says PRESS, my circumstances have lead me onto the path of Professional Communications and Marketing. My struggle now is determining how to juggle my new career, whilst remaining true to my dreams… it is here that I got lost in Slackerville. Instead of making a plan of attack, organizing my busy calendar and finding the support I needed, I gave up. This was never what I intended, but it’s what happened. The hectic nature of my life finally got to me and, instead of working towards my dreams, I just stopped caring and threw myself into the blissful ignorance that is The Hills.
Over the past couple days, though, I have decided: enough is enough. I need to find my way out of Slackerville and back on track to professional and personal success. My friends and a coworker’s husband are to be thanked for my resolution. The friends who have approached me and said “you haven’t written in your blog for a while. Why? I enjoyed reading it!” made a big difference! I realized that some people out there look forward to reading my work and even if this is all the publishing I ever do, those few friends who get a laugh from my stories will make it worthwhile. My coworkers’ husband is in the same boat as I. He's a journalism graduate who is now in professional communications, but still looking for a way into the biz. Yesterday my coworker came to me and said that her husband (who is always on the hunt for new opportunities) had found a paid internship position I might be interested in. Even though I am not in a position to take advantage of the opportunity at this time, it felt really good to know that someone out there is looking out for me, and believes in my dreams.
Slackerville will soon be a faint memory as I make a plan and set aside time to put it into action…

Right after I watch this last episode of The Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment