Monday, January 11, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus or How I Realized How Much I Miss Heath Ledger

I saw the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus the other day, Heath Ledger's last film. I didn't think it would effect me.

I was so wrong.

I went into this movie expecting to see a beautiful and imaginative film, which it was. I went in expecting to be a little sad about seeing the late Heath Ledger on the big screen for the last time, which I was. But I didn't expect to still feel melancholy a whole 24 hours after the movie was finished, which I am. Today, I sat at my desk trying to work and all I felt was distracted and irritated. My coworkers noticed and asked me how my weekend was. I told them I had a great weekend, but I always ended with "I saw the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, it was a beautiful film, but it made me sad." After repeating this sentence at least 12 times I finally clued into what was wrong with me: I miss Heath Ledger.

I, like many others, was shocked and disappointed by his death. We weren't expecting such a young and promising talent to die so soon. I remember my roommate telling me the sad news of Ledger's passing, and I not believing her, I thought it was some sort of mistake. I was not a die hard Ledger fan, so I couldn't explain why his death made me so sad. I guess, at the time, it was because he was the first young hollywood star, who I admired, who had died. I respected his talent, loved his charm and was taken in by his adorable smile.

Seeing The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus brought Ledger back alive to me for a brief moment. There he was, on the big screen, acting like he had never left. He was charming, he was pretty and he portrayed his character brilliantly. I enjoyed watching him so much that I was sad when the movie ended. But the fact that I'm still sad a whole day after the movie has ended proves to me that I miss seeing Heath Ledger in movies more then I'd care to admit.

Hollywood has been watered down over the years. Rarely does an actor come along that truly inspires the imagination. I believe Heath Ledger was one of those rare people and I hope that one day someone will be able to fill his shoes and breath life into so many of the great characters we see on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment